Women Who Work: Content Strategist, Jen Sabillon
Jennifer Sabillon is a content strategist who focuses on copywriting and social media content. She helps entrepreneurs strategize their content and personalize their message. Let’s get into her journey! What made you want to start your business? What inspired you to do so? I was an English teacher for 7 years before starting my own business. What got me into teaching English was my LOVE for writing! I have literally been writing since I was old enough to hold a pen/crayon/marker/whatever. When I got pregnant with my second baby boy in July of 2016, I realized that I wasn’t spending my time doing something I loved that was worth being away from my babies. Having small children really fuels a person to go for their dreams and have more time to spend with them. So, I decided to go for my dreams of being a writer and create amazing content for people who might not have the time or the desire to write for their businesses! How do you explain what you do to others? In this crazy world called copywriting/content creation, I have found myself doing all types of copy work from website copy to social media content. It is truly amazing the time that a business owner can save by having someone create their content FOR them rather than stress themselves out trying to do it themselves. I create a social media content plan, write the content, implement (schedule), and watch it produce! On the copywriting side, I write newsletters, email sequences, landing pages, etc… If it has writing on it, I’m your girl! How long have you been doing this? I have been working in my own business for 7 months! What is a day for you like? What is your routine? My routine is centered around my sweet boys (2.5 years and 3 months).
- I get up and get my 3 month old fed and changed.
- The two boys and I head downstairs where I get my 2.5 year old breakfast and MILK (of course) while getting my youngest situated for playtime.
- I get myself some breakfast (usually a Pop Tart and a Coke… don’t judge).
- After we’re all settled, I get comfortable at my desk and start cranking out the content!
- I take some client calls, make connections, network, socialize on FB because why not, and work on my own business material.
- Around lunch time, we have lunch and then the boys take a nap!
- During their nap, I work on more content and client calls.
- After they wake up from nap, we all head back downstairs to get a snack and wait for daddy to come home.
- Once my husband is home, we eat dinner and get ready for bed.
- The boys go down around 7-7:30 pm.
- Once they’re down, my husband and I spend quality time together just enjoying each other’s company!
- Then, it’s my favorite time of the day: BEDTIME!
- Trello - the FREE version is amazing! There are “Power Ups” you can purchase, but the free version is amazing on it’s own! Organization = awesomeness.
- Drift is super cool scheduling tool that has a bot who interacts with the potential client that really makes the process easier and more personable (in my opinion). Plus, not a lot of others are using it, so it’s unique! The one that I use is FREE, and it is great!
- CANVA - from an inexperienced graphics creator’s standpoint, this is an amazing tool. There is not much of a learning curve, and the graphics that are produced are great for the purpose I need them. I do have the paid version for magic resizing, but the free version is amazing, too.
- Google everything! Let me tell you, without Google Drive, I’d be LOST!